Thursday, June 4, 2009

Jon & Kate Plus Grace

A thot to ponder as we read and watch the marriage struggle of Jon & Kate Gosselin:

When we say, "They got what they deserved" we forget that we didn't.

Did Jon and Kate introduce new risks and rewards into the structure of their family when they invited television cameras and millions of viewers into their home? Without a doubt.

Does fame and celebrity come with consequences that are often toxic? Without a doubt.

Did Jon and Kate get what they deserve? I don't know. I've seen other Christians express this opinion but I don't know Jon and Kate.

I know me. And I didn't get what I deserved. I got grace.

I got forgiveness. I got Christ. I got rescued from the ruins of a life that seemed beyond redemption. I got a second chance and a 10th chance and a 300th chance.

I didn't get what I deserved.

And when we say that someone, "Got what they deserved," whether we're talking about a reality TV couple, our relatives or our neighbors, we lose sight of grace, which is the undercurrent of our entire faith and a gift we do not deserve.


[Prodigal Jon]

No comments: