Thursday, March 12, 2009

Balance

Balance is essential.

My life has always been a tug of war between one thing and another. Sovereignty and free will, grace and truth, leading and submitting, acting and waiting, doing and being, compassion and conviction, the list could go on but I have never found a lot of blessing in the extremes.

When I have gotten out on one edge or the other I have always struggled. The only place I have experienced true power is in the balance.

While some seem content to focus on one or the other I find myself sometimes torn or even tortured by the need for balance.

Extreme is easy, balance is hard.

Jesus said, “these things you ought to have done without leaving the others undone” (Luke 11:42). I hope my family will know in me a measured man who knew no extremes other than “the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ” (Revelation 1:2).

- James MacDonald

No comments: